TICAS is seeking a talented individual to help develop and lead a new initiative to close college equity gaps by helping California community colleges maximize the impact of financial aid and social benefit programs.
Past TICAS research has established that — despite California’s investments in low tuition and Cal Grants — too many Californians still struggle with the full cost of attending college, contributing to equity gaps in college access and completion. Moreover, different colleges take different approaches to helping students access financial aid, CalFresh, and other available support.
The postholder will help develop and manage our Technical Assistance efforts with a group of California colleges. We are looking for a team player with strong interpersonal skills, a demonstrated ability to lead projects, expertise in financial aid and/or nutrition issues, and a commitment to promoting equal opportunity in higher education. This position will be based out of the Oakland office and will be for an initial period of 18 months, with potential for renewal.
The title of the position will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the individual.
The core duties and responsibilities of the position include, but not limited to, the following:
- Help design and manage a new initiative to help California colleges close equity gaps and help more students succeed by maximizing the impact of financial aid and other programs intended to meet students’ living expenses and basic needs.
- Develop and oversee project plans to support specific TA efforts and regularly review, evaluate, and revise this plan as needed.
- Plan, facilitate and convene meetings with community college staff (including financial aid officers, student success administrators, curriculum leads and other college-based staff) on financial aid and benefits access policies and practices.
- Plan and lead college site visits, including crafting meeting and site visit protocols, site visit facilitation and site visit evaluations and follow up.
- Solicit feedback from, and share expertise with, community college leaders on student eligibility and best practices related to financial aid and basic needs.
- Convene and help lead meetings with funders, partners, contractors and other experts as needed to support TICAS’ TA projects.
- Help devise methodologies to ensure effective peer-to-peer learning and dissemination of best practices across cohorts of colleges related to financial aid and student basic needs
- Draft reports of meetings, site visits, survey findings and other interactions with colleges to help inform and shape policy discussions and recommendations.
- Oversee the work of consultants and staff as needed to meet the requirements of specific TA projects.
- Coordinate efforts with other related TICAS work and initiatives to support and inform our TA work.
- Development and maintain expertise in financial and basic needs program eligibility and implementation practices, in California and nationally.
- Represent TICAS at conferences, as it relates to ongoing TA work.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Knowledge of financial aid, nutrition, and/or other social benefits eligibility and implementation issues.
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Experience and skill in managing projects with multiple components.
- Minimum of three years of directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Candidates should submit a resume to: https://airtable.com/shriSN6saF5PejuSz
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS strongly encourages applicants from diverse and historically underserved backgrounds to apply.