California Research/Policy Analyst
The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is seeking a talented Analyst to join our California team. Based in Oakland, CA with an office in Washington, DC, we are a national nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization widely respected for our expertise on financial aid and student debt issues. Our mission is to make higher education more available and affordable for people of all backgrounds, nationally and in California, so that more students can complete meaningful college credentials without burdensome debt.
This position analyzes California state policy issues related to financial aid, college affordability, and student success. We are looking for a passionate team player with experience analyzing both data and state or federal policy, strong communication skills, and exceptional attention to detail. The Analyst reports to TICAS’ Vice President. Oakland-based candidates are strongly preferred, though candidates in Sacramento will also be considered.
- Analyze the impact of proposed policies on low-income students.
- Help shape and execute strategies and tactics for pursuing policy goals.
- Gather, interpret, and analyze research and data relating to financial aid, college affordability, and student success.
- Distill findings and transform analyses into easily understandable summaries, using tables and charts as needed.
- Draft reports, memos, briefs, and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations.
- BA required, MA in related field preferred, plus a minimum of three years of related, full-time work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of higher education and financial aid issues preferred
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Strong Excel skills required; Stata experience preferred
- Policy analysis experience required; advocacy experience preferred.
- Excellent analysis and synthesis skills
- Demonstrated ability to describe complex issues in ways that different audiences can understand
- Experience and skill in leading projects
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "CA Research/Policy Analyst" in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please include:
- an example of a federal or state policy that you have worked to develop or change;
- a one- to three-sentence description of how you have used Excel or other quantitative analysis tools in your work; and
- why you are passionate about higher education in California.
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. Title will be commensurate with experience. TICAS is an equal opportunity and at-will employer.