The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is seeking a talented Research Analyst to join our team. Based in Oakland, CA and Washington DC, we are a national nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization widely respected for our expertise on financial aid and student debt issues. Our mission is to make higher education more available and affordable for people of all backgrounds, nationally and in California, so that more students can complete meaningful college credentials without burdensome debt.
This position conducts research and analysis on issues relating to financial aid, college affordability, and student success, with an eye towards informing California state policy. The position reports to TICAS’ Research Director and also works closely with the California policy team as well as staff across the organization. We are looking for a passionate team player with impeccable attention to detail, strong quantitative analysis skills and experience, and a demonstrated ability to communicate research findings clearly. This position will be based in Oakland, CA.
- Gather, interpret, and analyze research, data, and policy proposals relating to financial aid, college affordability, and student success.
- Identify data trends, make appropriate connections from data to organizational mission, and summarize major takeaways and implications for policy goals.
- Distill findings and transform analyses into easily understandable summaries, using tables and charts as needed.
- Draft clear and persuasive reports, memos, briefs, and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations, as well as drive media coverage and shape policy debates.
- Maintain current knowledge of federal, state, institutional, and other data sources, as well as the software and web-based tools necessary to analyze that data.
- Manage projects with multiple components, which involve staff members across the organization and/or external partners.
- Minimum of 5 years of directly related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong quantitative research and analysis skills, including demonstrated proficiency in programming and statistical analysis using Stata and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to present complex information in an accurate, understandable, and compelling manner for various audiences, particularly non-technical readers.
- Exceptional attention to detail
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Experience and skill in managing projects with multiple components.
- Knowledge of higher education and financial aid issues a plus.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Research Analyst" in the subject line.
In your cover letter, please include:
- A one- to three-sentence description of how you have used Excel or other quantitative analysis tools in your education and/or work; and
- Why you are passionate about TICAS’ mission and, specifically, higher education in California.
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS is an equal opportunity and at-will employer.