TICAS is seeking a talented and committed candidate to design and execute our federal policy advocacy strategy on behalf of low-income students and students of color, including both strong protections against low-quality and abusive colleges and initiatives to improve default rates, graduation rates, and other student outcomes at all colleges. The principal duties and responsibilities of the position include:
- Policy Analysis and Development
- Advocacy and Strategy
The successful candidate will work with the TICAS leadership team to craft and implement strategies for achieving policy goals on issues including equity, affordability and accountability in higher education. The team member will represent TICAS in meetings with federal executive and legislative branch policymakers, national experts and advocates. Key aspects of the role include helping inform legislative and regulatory policy processes through research and analysis, developing and advocating for research-based policy proposals, and building and maintaining coalitions of like-minded partners.
The position will report to the President of TICAS. We expect that the successful candidate will lead a team that includes one or more staff members and consultants, though candidates with all levels of experience are encouraged to apply. The title of the position will be commensurate with the qualifications and experience of the individual.
Policy Analysis and Development
- Analyze, summarize, and make recommendations on draft policy proposals, including on legislative, regulatory and administrative issues.
- Monitor and analyze regulatory, and legislative developments, particularly in the areas of college accountability and consumer protection, including default rates, gainful employment, borrower defense, and the use of evidence to improve student outcomes.
- Contribute research, analysis, and writing to reports, issue briefs, blog posts, fact sheets, and letters.
Advocacy and Strategy
- Develop and execute strategies for advancing TICAS’ policy priorities through legislative, regulatory, and other means.
- Build strong coalitions of allies, keep them informed of developments and identify opportunities for them to contribute.
- Represent TICAS at in-person meetings and on conference calls with policymakers, researchers, and advocates. Specifically,
- Schedule, organize, and develop plans for meetings with policy makers and staff, including gathering pertinent materials and providing appropriate follow-up materials and clarifications for subjects discussed in the meeting
- Organize and/or coordinate coalition meetings and calls
- Make presentations, participate in meetings and attend conferences on selected issues.
- Identify and cultivate coalitions of organizations with shared interests. Effectively communication with organizations with different priorities from our own.
- A bachelors degree is required and a graduate degree in a related field is a plus.
- Five or more years of experience in higher education research, policy or advocacy.
Core Competencies for the position
- Demonstrated knowledge of higher education policy.
- Strong analytical skills; comfort with quantitative analyses.
- Relevant experience in federal research, policy analysis and advocacy.
- Effective communication skills, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships and work in coalitions, including managing disparate priorities among several constituencies.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume to: https://airtable.com/shrJlPrRkPzirFBVu
In your cover letter, please include:
- Why you are passionate about TICAS’ mission.
- How you believe your experience makes you the right fit for this position.
Interested candidates should also include two professional references with their cover letter. No phone calls please.
This position will remain open until filled. TICAS strongly encourages applicants from diverse and historically underserved backgrounds to apply.