The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is seeking a talented Research Director to lead our research team. TICAS’ research director leads our analytical work to make original contributions to the national debate over higher education policy and to shape and advance student-centered policies nationally and in California. We are looking for a team player with impeccable attention to detail, strong quantitative analysis skills and experience, a demonstrated ability to communicate research findings clearly, and a commitment to promoting equal opportunity in higher education. The next research director will manage a team of two and report to the Executive Vice President. Candidates willing to work from Oakland are strongly preferred.
- Design and execute research projects relating to college affordability, equity in higher education, and student success.
- Identify data trends, make appropriate connections from data to organizational mission, and summarize major takeaways and implications for policy goals.
- Draft clear and persuasive reports, memos, briefs, and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations, drive media coverage and shape policy debates.
- Maintain current knowledge of federal, state, institutional, and other data sources, as well as the software and web-based tools necessary to analyze that data.
- Manage projects with multiple components, which may involve a team of two, staff members across the organization, and/or external partners.
- Oversee the redesign of TICAS’ data web site, College InSight.org, and the production of TICAS’ annual report on student debt.
- Represent TICAS at conference presentations and in media interviews.
- Strong quantitative research and analysis skills, including demonstrated proficiency in programming and statistical analysis using Stata and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to present complex information in an accurate, understandable, and compelling manner for various audiences, particularly non-technical readers.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Experience in supervising and managing staff.
- Comfort working both independently and collaboratively.
- Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills.
- Experience and skill in managing projects with multiple components.
- Minimum of seven years of directly related experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of higher education and financial aid issues a plus.
Commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits.
Interested candidates should submit an application to https://airtable.com/shr54bSiJtfl8016r where you can upload a resume and cover letter. Please include:
- An example of how your quantitative analyses have shaped federal, state, or institutional policy recommendations; and
- Why you are passionate about TICAS’ mission. Interested candidates should also include two professional references with their cover letter.
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity: diverse candidates are encouraged to apply.