We are seeking a visionary organizational leader with a strong background in policy research and advocacy. The president must be someone who can build upon TICAS’ stellar reputation and track record and who can successfully position TICAS for the future – strategically, financially, and organizationally. We have engaged Isaacson, Miller, one of the country’s leading executive recruitment firms, to assist in the search. For more information or to nominate someone or apply, see here.
The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is seeking a talented Analyst to join our California team. Based in Oakland, CA with an office in Washington, DC, we are a national nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization widely respected for our expertise on financial aid and student debt issues. Our mission is to make higher education more available and affordable for people of all backgrounds, nationally and in California, so that more students can complete meaningful college credentials without burdensome debt.
This position analyzes California state policy issues related to financial aid, college affordability, and student success. We are looking for a team player with experience in data and policy analysis, strong communication skills, and exceptional attention to detail. The Analyst reports to TICAS’ Vice President. Oakland-based candidates are preferred, though candidates in Sacramento will also be considered.
- Analyze the impact of proposed policies on low-income students.
- Help shape and execute strategies and tactics for pursuing policy goals.
- Gather, interpret, and analyze research and data relating to financial aid, college affordability, and student success.
- Distill findings and transform analyses into easily understandable summaries, using tables and charts as needed.
- Draft reports, memos, briefs, and fact sheets to communicate findings and recommendations.
- BA required, MA in related field preferred, plus a minimum of three years of related experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of higher education and financial aid issues preferred
- Excellent interpersonal communication and writing skills
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills and experience
- Strong Excel skills required; Stata experience preferred
- Policy and advocacy experience preferred.
- Excellent analysis and synthesis skills
- Demonstrated ability to describe complex issues in ways that different audiences can understand
- Experience and skill in leading projects
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Research/Policy Analyst" in the subject line. In your cover letter, please include an example of a federal, state, or institutional policy you have worked to develop or change, and a very brief description of how you have used Excel or other quantitative analysis tools in your work. No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. Title will be commensurate with experience. TICAS is an equal opportunity and at-will employer.
TICAS is seeking a Communications Associate to start no later than the first week in September and work with us through Spring 2018. Based in Oakland, CA with an office in Washington, DC, we are a national nonprofit, nonpartisan research and policy organization widely respected for our expertise on financial aid and student debt issues.
The Communications Associate will be part of TICAS’ fast-paced communications team whose work resulted in more than 4,000 national, state and local media citations last year, including in the New York Times, Washington Post, NPR, Los Angeles Times, San Francisco Chronicle and Sacramento Bee. The position is part-time (20 hours per week), working out of our Oakland office, and reports to the Communications Manager.
- Conduct daily news search for relevant articles, assemble and distribute clips. Maintain master file of news clips and generate clip counts for grant reports
- Update and maintain various websites, including www.ticas.org
- Assist with drafting of email updates, action alerts, and press releases for distribution via advocacy platform
- Manage survey of our more than 100,000 email subscribers and analyze responses to better inform content
- Maintain and monitor TICAS’ social media presence on Facebook and Twitter for proactive and reactive opportunities. Analyze responses to TICAS’ social media activities
- Create shareable graphics for social media platforms
- Assist with scheduling press interviews
- Demonstrated experience with Drupal and/or WordPress
- Strong written communication skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- PLUSES: Experience with Adobe Photoshop and advocacy platforms such as CQ Engage
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with "Communications Associate" in the subject line. In your cover letter, please discuss your experience with Drupal and/or WordPress. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS is an equal opportunity and at-will employer.
The analyst will conduct policy analysis and research with the goal of sustaining and improving government oversight of career education and to prevent the resurgence of predatory practices. The analyst will be deeply involved in regulatory and data analysis and TICAS’ advocacy work as part of a broad coalition of organizations that advocate for students, veterans, consumers, civil rights and college access and quality. The position works from TICAS’ DC office and reports to the DC Office Director.
- Gather, interpret, and analyze research and data on career education schools and programs
- Distill findings and analyses into persuasive reports, memos, and fact sheets
- Track and analyze regulatory, legislative, school, sector, and research developments
- Help develop evidence-based policy recommendations
- Help respond to inquiries from coalition partners, policy makers, media, stakeholders, and others
- Draft memos, blog posts, letters, and fact sheets
Candidates must have a minimum of 4 years of relevant full-time experience in federal policy analysis and advocacy, or a graduate degree in a related field plus at least 2 years of directly relevant experience. Knowledge of higher education and financial aid policy is strongly preferred, as is relevant experience in the legislative and/or executive branch. The successful candidate will have excellent communication, analytical, writing, and project management skills. Strong quantitative and Excel skills required. She/he will be highly motivated to initiate ideas and projects, and also skilled at working collaboratively with others. A bachelor’s degree is required.
TICAS seeks and depends on employees who are:
- strong team players as well as individual contributors
- able to organize and manage competing priorities, tasks and deadlines
- responsible for the quality and timeliness of their work
- excellent communicators
- creative problem-solvers
- comfortable with ambiguity
- flexible in response to change
Full benefits provided; compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. TICAS is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Policy Analyst” in the title. No phone calls. This position will remain open until filled.